BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
If you are looking for regular family dental care or advanced cosmetic dentistry like Dental Veneers in Dubai, Hollywood Smile in Dubai, Teeth Whitening in Dubai, Root Canal Treatment in Dubai, Scaling and Polishing in Dubai and many more treatment for Children and adults, Dr.Parisa is your best choice in Dubai JLT.
Most cases of Bruxism can easily be treated by wearing a night guard for teeth while you sleep. Night guards for teeth are also known as dental guards, mouth guards, nocturnal bite plates, or bite splints. They work by putting a barrier between your teeth. When you clench your jaw, the night guard for teeth helps to lighten the tension and give cushion to the muscles in the jaw. This cushioning not only helps to prevent face and jaw pain, but also protects the enamel of your teeth. They look very similar to snoring remedies.
Night guards for teeth can be purchased over-the-counter without a prescription, as well as straight from the dentist or cost effectively from a specialized online retailer. There are a few different ways they can be fitted, and the type that will work best for you depends on your individual needs.
DUAL LAMINATE NIGHT GUARDS
This type of night guard for teeth to treat Bruxism is for moderately severe teeth grinders. They are soft on the inside and hard on the outside.
- Handles heavy clenching and grinding
- Longer lasting
- Usually offers a longer warranty than soft guards
- Tend to be a little thicker than the other guards
- Seem to be harder to adjust to
HARD NIGHT GUARDS
Hard night guards for teeth to treat Bruxism are made from acrylic and are extremely rigid but durable. They can be used for very severe cases of grinding, as well as TMJ.
- Most durable
- Prevents teeth from shifting
- Usually offers the longest warranty
- Thicker than soft night guards
- More uncomfortable than others
- Difficult to get used to sleeping in
- Need to be ordered directly through dentist since an accurate impression is needed for fit
- Can be more expensive than the others
NIGHT GUARD FOR BRUXISM: TEETH GRINDING AND CLENCHING
Teeth grinding and clenching, also known as Bruxism, is pretty common and can be painful and destructive to teeth. Luckily, there are plenty of night guards for Bruxism on the market that can help anyone who clenches and grinds their teeth while sleeping.
About Bruxism: Symptoms, Side Effects, Causes
Bruxism is fairly common and some may not even be aware of their own grinding. Some Bruxism symptoms you may suffer from are:
- Teeth grinding
- Waking up with dull headaches
- Jaw soreness
- Facial pain
- Fatigue from lack of sleep
Occasional teeth grinding may not cause any real concerns, but long-term, consistent Bruxism can lead to broken teeth, loss of tooth enamel, and in severe cases, loss of teeth.
The exact cause is unknown, but it’s believed that stress and anxiety play the biggest role. Other causes may also be alcohol use, cigarettes, caffeine, sleep apnea, snoring, an abnormal bite, and crooked teeth.
TYPES OF NIGHT GUARDS
Soft Night Guard
This is the most commonly used type of night guard for teeth to treat Bruxism and used mostly for mild or occasional cases, not for severe teeth grinders.
- Most comfortable fit of all the night guards
- Most adaptable/easy to get used to
- Usually lower cost
- Some people unintentionally clench on to or chew the soft material
- Not as durable/limited lifespan
- Most warranties are only 6 months or less due to the limited life-span
- Not a long-term solution